Rejoice Alpha Centauri fans, 2K and Firaxis have announced over the weekend Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, the new entry in the famous turn-based strategy franchise. As the name impies, it is set in the future where resources are focused on space travel. Players will choose one of eight expedition sponsors, colonize an alien planet, build and deploy orbital units and more new things. The title will hit PC this Fall, details, trailer and screens inside.
New sci-fi installment in award-winning Civilization franchise explores humanity's future, as players leave Earth to explore and colonize an alien world
Join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #Civ
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr. 14, 2014-- 2K and Firaxis Games today announced that Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™, a new science fiction-themed entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise, is currently in development by Firaxis Games for Windows-based PC. The game will also be coming to Mac and Linux via Aspyr Media. Scheduled for release this fall, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will send players on an expedition from Earth to lead their people into a new frontier to explore and colonize an alien planet, and create a new civilization.
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of a Civilization game, by exploring humanity’s future on an alien world. For the first time, players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities, including nonlinear technological progression, deeper customization of chosen factions, and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.
“Having celebrated its 23rd anniversary last year, Civilization has cemented its reputation as one of the greatest and longest running franchises in video game history,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth builds upon that success by pushing the series in new directions with players exploring an unknown future on an alien planet.”
“The Civ team was excited about the opportunity to continue the story of Civilization into the future, because it allows the team to break free of historical context,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “We’ve always let our fans create the history of mankind, and Civilization: Beyond Earth will now let them create the future.”
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
• Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
• Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
• New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
• New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
• New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
In addition to its use of DirectX 11, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will be among the first wave of products optimized for the latest in AMD graphics technologies, including: the new Mantle graphics API, for enhanced graphics performance; AMD CrossFire™, for UltraHD resolutions and extreme image quality; and AMD Eyefinity, which allows for a panoramic gameplay experience on up to six different HD displays off of a single graphics card.
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth is not yet rated by the ESRB, and will be available for Windows PC, Mac and Linux in North America this fall for $49.99. For more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth, please visit www.civilization.com, become a fan on Facebook, follow Civilization on Twitter and subscribe to Civilization on YouTube.