It was hard to not actually laugh at this title when I first saw it, but it's true - it's the History Channel Civil War, a full price strategy title for the Xbox 360 (and Playstation 2). The game is now officially announced, with more info and some screenshots inside.
The game will be released the 14th of November in the US, and here is a fact sheet from the publisher Activision:
Immerse yourself in the intensity, carnage, and chaos of the war that divided a nation! Experience history brought to life in the first ever first-person action game based on the Civil War. Play as a Confederate or Union soldier in America’s most historic battles including Gettysburg, Bull Run and Antietam. Use authentic firearms, fight in intense hand-to-hand combat, place explosives, sabotage enemy artillery, destroy buildings, and more!
· America’s Most Historic Battles – Twelve of the most famous battles in the Nation’s history including Gettysburg, Bull Run and Antietam. Experience famous locations such as Little Round Top and Lookout Mountain and diverse landscapes including train yards, saw mills, military forts, trenches, towns and large open battlefields.
· Intense Hand-to-Hand Fighting – Experience the intense chaos of the Civil War including close quarters and melee fighting using bayonets, sabers, the butt of your gun and even your fists in the midst of raging battles.
· Wide Variety of Battlefield Combat – Enlist realistic battle strategies including line fighting, artillery barrages, urban assaults, sniping, stealth and sabotage. Set charges, place explosives, sabotage enemy telegraph lines, destroy buildings, enemy fortifications and more to complete mission objectives.
· Authentic Weaponry of the Civil War – Authentic Civil War weapons transport gamers to the battlefields armed with repeating rifles, multiple types of grenades, exploding artillery, gatling guns, revolvers, bayonets, muskets, sabers and more!
· Awesome Cinematic War Experience – Battles come to life amidst exploding artillery, whistling bullets, falling comrades and much more!
· Incredible realism and historical accuracy -- Battlefield recreations are based on topographical maps and photographs from the actual battlegrounds. Each level begins with a documentary video describing the historic moments in each battle, movements of armies, local fights, historical photos and battle statistics.
I think it was apparent to people.. even before the system launched.. that the early launch of the Dreamcast was risky. So I can see how EA might want to play hardball to sweeten the deal on said risk (2 Hours ago)
They also sold 2K and exited the console business... so maybe it wasn't all the best course of action after all :D (2 Hours ago)
That's what I meant lol. NFL, not NHL. (2 Hours ago)
it's pretty shitty to deny a system because of Visual Concepts though. They hadn't even produced anything yet and EA was a giant even then (2 Hours ago)
EA's license is supposed to be up this year I think. I wish 2K could make an NFL game again. (2 Hours ago)
NFL2K was also the franchise that made it painfully obvious how little Madden was changing year to year. EA had to buy the NFL, and 2K bought the MLB in response I believe. (2 Hours ago)
Even though EA had their games on the Saturn and that flopped hard, the Saturn ran headlong into the famous "$299" mic drop moment. (2 Hours ago)