I've been hinting at this for a few weeks now on the forum, but I think it's time to officially announce it. In a few weeks, Xboxyde and Playsyde will merge into Gamersyde, where we will also support the Wii. More explanations inside.
The reasons why we've decided to merge our sites are many and I'm going to try to explain them to you:
- First and foremost, we've always wanted our forums and threads to be as open-minded as possible and we've always encouraged any serious discussion about the different platforms. So why would we continue to segregate?
- Both communities (Xboxyde and Playsyde) are not so different anyway when it comes to the visitors so it forces them to visit the two sites when there's really no true justification for that.
- Another problem is that focusing on one machine only makes it more difficult to work with the publishers because we're not taken as seriously as we'd wish. For them we're merely a fan(boy) site, which doesn't help us at all.
- We (Snoopers and I) intend to work on Gamersyde.com full time so to make a living out of it. Hence we need some less constraining advertising space, which is just impossible on the current sites. To redesign the two sites completely would mean twice as much work, obviously. Let me assure you however that the new site will be as easy to read and access as before and that's our top priority. We wouldn't want the site to suffer from its new advertising space.
- Our plan is also to add new community features (blogs, image and video hosting) soon after the site is launched. It would have been hard to implement all this on the current sites.
I'd completely understand if some of you guys were disappointed by the news. I admit I'm having a hard time myself letting go of Xboxyde and its design (which I think is still really good). However, I think it'll be for the best in the end.
Needless to say that our content, the tone of the news as well as the moderation will remain identical. We'll still be encouraging people to be open-minded, even if it has to mean fewer messages on the forums.
@droezelke: Which is... ridiculous. And no one seriously informed about international affairs thinks that the USA has declared war on NK. (4 minutes ago)
@Moonwalker: 3 weeks ago North Korea did a hydrogen bomb test, fired a missile over japan etc. world nations condemned the actions, Trump called Kim a "rocketman", it got personal, hell broke loose (57 minutes ago)
all the same. Haven't been following the news all that much, but what started this whole situation? (1 Hour ago)
@droezelke: I wonder what it will mean, it sure sounds scary. If this is no bluff anymore...anything can happen. I'm sure Trump could wipe out NK without much effort, but NK could make a first move (1 Hour ago)
Nothing I said was inaccurate. North-Korea has stated officially that the tweet from Trump is considered a declaration of war. (1 Hour ago)
@Sdarts: What do you mean 'outside of the US'? What difference does that make? You think the whole world is ignorant? Follow the news. The facts are right there. (1 Hour ago)
for the HDR i'm hoping it takes off on pc soon. games supporting it has been slow, but when hdr-capable monitors starts showing up in a few months perhaps it will improve. (2 Hours ago)