I've been hinting at this for a few weeks now on the forum, but I think it's time to officially announce it. In a few weeks, Xboxyde and Playsyde will merge into Gamersyde, where we will also support the Wii. More explanations inside.
The reasons why we've decided to merge our sites are many and I'm going to try to explain them to you:
- First and foremost, we've always wanted our forums and threads to be as open-minded as possible and we've always encouraged any serious discussion about the different platforms. So why would we continue to segregate?
- Both communities (Xboxyde and Playsyde) are not so different anyway when it comes to the visitors so it forces them to visit the two sites when there's really no true justification for that.
- Another problem is that focusing on one machine only makes it more difficult to work with the publishers because we're not taken as seriously as we'd wish. For them we're merely a fan(boy) site, which doesn't help us at all.
- We (Snoopers and I) intend to work on Gamersyde.com full time so to make a living out of it. Hence we need some less constraining advertising space, which is just impossible on the current sites. To redesign the two sites completely would mean twice as much work, obviously. Let me assure you however that the new site will be as easy to read and access as before and that's our top priority. We wouldn't want the site to suffer from its new advertising space.
- Our plan is also to add new community features (blogs, image and video hosting) soon after the site is launched. It would have been hard to implement all this on the current sites.
I'd completely understand if some of you guys were disappointed by the news. I admit I'm having a hard time myself letting go of Xboxyde and its design (which I think is still really good). However, I think it'll be for the best in the end.
Needless to say that our content, the tone of the news as well as the moderation will remain identical. We'll still be encouraging people to be open-minded, even if it has to mean fewer messages on the forums.
@KORNdog: TW3 can't be a Skyring well done because W3 is not trying to be Skyrin. Different games and different type of RPG I think. You could say one more fun quest than the other though. (34 minutes ago)
... I can't even think of what they want. Maybe expecting CoH or AoE or even a Starcraft like game, but it's not even trying to be a strategy game like that. (8 Hours ago)
@rayy: I think so. If I hit on something later in the game that I haven't gotten to yet I'll let you know, but so far I don't see any control flaws. (8 Hours ago)
If you took the sword work and handling from Witcher and put it in Skyrim, you have the ultimate game in that genre. Mods made Skyrim in my opinion; vanilla was stunted outside of stealth backstabbery (8 Hours ago)
@GriftGFX: Both games in my eyes had spotty combat. I played W3 for its story and life. As for Skyrim, the vanilla version of the game felt bland without the mods. (10 Hours ago)
And I think the gameplay that is there is pretty janky and pretty shallow. (11 Hours ago)