I've been hinting at this for a few weeks now on the forum, but I think it's time to officially announce it. In a few weeks, Xboxyde and Playsyde will merge into Gamersyde, where we will also support the Wii. More explanations inside.
The reasons why we've decided to merge our sites are many and I'm going to try to explain them to you:
- First and foremost, we've always wanted our forums and threads to be as open-minded as possible and we've always encouraged any serious discussion about the different platforms. So why would we continue to segregate?
- Both communities (Xboxyde and Playsyde) are not so different anyway when it comes to the visitors so it forces them to visit the two sites when there's really no true justification for that.
- Another problem is that focusing on one machine only makes it more difficult to work with the publishers because we're not taken as seriously as we'd wish. For them we're merely a fan(boy) site, which doesn't help us at all.
- We (Snoopers and I) intend to work on Gamersyde.com full time so to make a living out of it. Hence we need some less constraining advertising space, which is just impossible on the current sites. To redesign the two sites completely would mean twice as much work, obviously. Let me assure you however that the new site will be as easy to read and access as before and that's our top priority. We wouldn't want the site to suffer from its new advertising space.
- Our plan is also to add new community features (blogs, image and video hosting) soon after the site is launched. It would have been hard to implement all this on the current sites.
I'd completely understand if some of you guys were disappointed by the news. I admit I'm having a hard time myself letting go of Xboxyde and its design (which I think is still really good). However, I think it'll be for the best in the end.
Needless to say that our content, the tone of the news as well as the moderation will remain identical. We'll still be encouraging people to be open-minded, even if it has to mean fewer messages on the forums.
Distribution is definitely a problem. I've heard Switch is pretty easy to find in certain parts of Europe. Not so easy in the USA. (2 Hours ago)
like here (norway) i know people who preordered it, none got it. so they can't have sent many this way. Personally i wasn't planning on getting one, but i feel sorry for those who tried and failed. (3 Hours ago)
themselves), they should have put out a few more runs to atleast cover the people pre-ordering it. i'm fine with limited time availability otherwise. (3 Hours ago)
the whole nes-mini thing was lame. i understand they planned it as a limiteds-time release so people could get something cool for christmas 2016, but when they misjudged the marked (which they said.. (4 Hours ago)
I stopped trying to make sense of Ninty's decisions a long time ago lol. "This cheap machine prints money? naaaah" (5 Hours ago)
I guess it was supposed to be a limited run in the first place.. but you'd think it'd be a pretty easy way to make money too. (5 Hours ago)
yeah they certainly decided against trying to meet demand. They probably wanted to focus on Switch demand above all (5 Hours ago)