It's been more than a year since we last showed you Wreckfest (aka Next Car Game by the developers of the Flatout series) so since the game just got a new big update, we thought you'd be interested to see how far they have come. The game now runs perfectly well on our setup, even when fully maxed out, which wasn't the case a few months ago. There is still work to be done obviously, to finish the newly added tracks (Sandpit #1 and Tarmac #2 have placeholders as you'll see), to add animations to the pilot and to make menu navigation more practical with a gamepad, but they're definitely going in the right direction. On top of that, Bugbear announced the upcoming addition of real tracks to complete the current list of available locations.
• Physics improvements, more realistic geometry dynamics.
•Implemented joint-based steering rack implementation.
• Improved visual damage accuracy and realism, cars now deform more like they're made of sheet metal instead of paper or plastic.
• Implemented ambient occlusion maps for vehicles.
• Resurrected ambient shadow for vehicles, now affected by visual damage.
• Resurrected low frequency ambient occlusion for scenes.
• Running Steam client is no longer needed for dedicated servers.
• Again reduced dedicated server CPU load on empty servers.
• Improved tire adhesion audio, now reacts to different tyre conditions.
• Implemented basic anti-hacking measures: The game now detects in case there are modified or additional files in sensitive data folders, excluding art. In case modded content is is detected leaderboards are disabled. Multiplayer requires that the server and clients have the same modified files.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're persistently receiving an error message about data mismatch and can't pinpoint the culprit, please delete the whole 'data' folder and verify data integrity via Steam.
• Added a new game mode: Sprint Cup, consisting of 3 heats of 2 lap races.
• Added basic part durability mechanic: parts now wear with use, lowering performance.
• AI opponents are now picked based on player's car class.
• Added a set of new AI opponents with different cars.
• Enabled ABS & TCS helpers in multiplayer.
• Fixed team race lap position points awarding.
• Improve lost tire and damage tracking in replay.
• Improved gamepad controls.
• Implemented a new (placeholder) upgrading menu.
• Added a whole host of new vehicle parts.
• Implemented a placeholder marketplace.
• Improved chat functionality.
• Added an alert when a multiplayer event is about to start.
• Implemented more accurate option sliders when using a controller.
• Added a new race track: Mixed 1.
• Added a new race track: Tarmac 2.
• Added a new derby track: Lawn Mower Derby.
• Improved replay cameras on all tracks.
• Improved AI behaviour on all tracks.
• Added sunset weather.
• Added a new vehicle: Lawn Mower with rag doll driver.
• Updated tyre model.
• Improved vehicle setups.
• Game should no longer crash while chatting in spectate mode.
• Reduced and unified vehicle part wear rates across the board.
• European 1 is now less prone to rolling over.
• Added proper material to Mixed 1 arm-cos.
• Fixed various graphical glitches on Tarmac 2.
• Resurrected backfire effect (American 2 pending).
IMPORTANT NOTE: To prevent glitches and ensure full compatibility all user save data and settings was reset. For compensation everyone now gets 5000 credits when starting the career.
and i say that as someone who believed half life 2 is still the greatest FPS ever made. but it's still an issue that plagues a lot of games. horizon recently was terrible at this with the audio logs. (1 Hour ago)
but that's a common problem with maintaining player control even when characters are talking at you. you get distracted and start fannying around. (1 Hour ago)
@MrWhite: eh, i'll give you alex vance, but i don't really find any of the others particularly well written. and i'd argue throwing boxes while you're supposed to be engrosse in story is bad design. (1 Hour ago)
Sometimes the less you know about a character too = more interesting. Like G-Man. He pops up now and again being a creepy bastard. Thats what makes him interesting. (4 Hours ago)
Plus the fact you were messing about with boxes is a good thing, no? Game first, story and characters second is my motto. (4 Hours ago)
@KORNdog: Come on Korn, you know thats a horseshit statement you made. Before Naughty Dog and Bioware with Mass Effect, there was Alyx Vance. She may be a bit dated these days, but back then... (4 Hours ago)
@MrWhite: i guess i missed it. i was too busy running about all over the place throwing boxes around as my mute husk. lol (4 Hours ago)