First announced at E3 2016, Days Gone is now ready for release and if you are into single player games, you're probably wondering if it's worth your while. To help you decide, we have a few more gameplay videos along with a Gamersyde Offline in English to watch. If it's not enough, check out our verdict inside.
Note: Our review is based on the 1.02 version of the game, before it was updated to 1.03.
Note 2: Why not discover our review with it's new layout in our upcoming v3?
Despite the lack of originality of most of its gameplay mechanics, Days Gone belongs to this category of games that makes you want to keep playing. It sometimes feels that it's not as polished as some other PS4 exclusives, but it remains a pretty ambitious game which makes a really good use of Unreal Engine 4. It may be not as memorable as the likes of God of War, Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us but it has undeniable qualities, like it's coherent approach to the open world genre and its excellent atmosphere. As a new franchise, Days Gone has its flaws but it is nonetheless a good basis to build something promising for the future if it manages to get the most of its more unique features. As it stands, Bend Studio's game is entertaining enough to give hordes of single-player games enthusiasts a very good time. We can say so because that's exactly what happened to us in the last 2 weeks. We're not sure you'll feel the same obviously but if you don't stop at the fact that this new PS4 exclusive does not really bring anything new to the table, chances are you won't even realize the days that have gone between the first time you launched the game and the moment you complete it.
- On the upside
- Endearing characters
- Makes you want to see the end of it
- Solid atmosphere
- Efficient gameplay mechanics
- The trust system works well
- Excellent use of the touch pad for once
- Bike customization is cool
- A beautiful game
- Great weather effects and superb lighting
- HDR works wonders (up to 1500 nit peak brightness)
- Very detailed characters
- Great sound design and voice work
- Impressive crowd engine
- Animations are great overall
- On the downside
- It's all too familiar
- Some cutscenes aren't always justified
- Not as powerful as TLOU in terms of story
- Getting a call for a new job 2 minutes after leaving a camp (every time!)
- Running out of gas way too often
- Some stuttering in 1.02
- Pop-in can be more visible on some PS4s
- Loading times can be long
- Human AI is either blind or dumb
- A few bugs
What we think about the game (EN)
What we think about the game (FR/new sequences)