Forza Horizon 4 may be very similar to the previous episodes, its UK setting is a lot more to our liking for some reason. As you'll see in our verdict when it's ready in English (maybe later today), there is still plenty to love in this new installment in the series, something you may have noticed in our latest coverage of the game. Sadly we didn't have the time to prepare the summer video we were hoping to do in time, but as you are reading this, I'm probably just out of surgery so it's not like I had much of a choice. Don't worry though, we have some brand new 4K HDR content recorded on PC to share if you've seen the rest of our footage, and we'll probably post a few more videos later this week when I'm back on my feet.
Update: Verdict added.
Forza Horizon 4 may not try anything new apart for the inclusion of the 4 seasons, but the choice to take us to the UK is a lot more appealing than Australia to us. The British countryside is so charming it is hard to resist and Edimbourg had managed to take us back to PGR 2 which is obviously priceless. Forza Horizon 4 doesn't only offer beautiful landscapes to explore, it also comes with much variety in terms of atmospheres thanks to the 4 seasons. After spending a few days on the snow, playing in the Spring season is like discovering a brand new map, though technically it's the same one. In the summer, the lighting seems "warmer", when The Fall arrives, the leaves turn red, every little change is a kind of invitation to take the road again to see something different. Playground Games have added special events for each season, so there are actually new things to do each time, so we can only hope it stays fresh even after after a few cycles. This sequel is then particularly effective and will convince all those who have enjoyed the series thus far, and maybe even those who didn't enjoy Australia that much 2 years ago. Time to fasten your seatbelt and drive to the horizon, and beyond.
- On the plus side
- Orgasmic visuals
- The UK is such a charming place to explore
- The landscapes are full of surprises
- Perfect handling
- There is always something new to do
- 4 seasons, great atmosphere and superb lighting
- Off-road racing is fun as hell
- Letting players naturally in the open world
- The world is a bit livelier than before
- Good optimization on PC
- So many cars to choose from
- On the downside
- We wouldn't mind a bigger map
- Pop-up is too visible on PC (seems to be a bug)
- Lack of life in the world sometimes
- Engine sounds are not all satisfying
- The formula hasn't changed a bit
- Still no TV cameras during replays